Middle school literature is a good books style class, which focuses on preparing students for a Great Books course of study in high school. We do this through a two-year literature cycle. Year one centers around the quest motif and shows students how different works of literature “talk to each other.” Year two continues the quest motif, but with more advanced works of literature.
Two Literature Cycle for Middle School Literature
- Year 1: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Beowulf, and selected Norse Myths
- Year 2: The Chronicles of Narnia (Select works), The Faerie Queen Book 1, and Various Fairy Tales
Activities include an introduction to close reading, reading aloud, projects, literature discussions, commonplacing, and an introduction to highlighting/annotating.
Books & Resources for the 2020-21 School Year
- Various Fairy Tales
- The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien