Writing, Logic, & Oratory
In logic and writing, students study classical rhetoric and traditional logic. The content of their writing is whatever they are studying in history and literature.
The end of rhetoric in the classical tradition is the play, the speech, and the recitation. In oratory, students will learn how to use their memory to get to know a piece by heart and perform it well. Students achieve these objectives through three units throughout the year: The Poem, The Speech, and The Play.
Books & Resources
- The appropriate Memoria Press Logic & Lost Tools of Writing Level for your student.
- Logic & LTW Breakout I: Traditional Logic I Text, Student Workbook, & Test Booklet & LTW Level 1 Student Workbook (5th Edition) (Teacher: Mrs. Angela Burke)
- Logic & LTW Breakout II: Traditional Logic II Text, Student Workbook, & Test Booklet & LTW Level 2 Student Workbook (2nd Edition) (Teacher: Ms. Jennifer Dow)
- Logic & LTW Breakout III: Material Logic & LTW Level 3 Student Workbook (Will be offered the next year 2021-22)
- Grammar Reference of your choice. We recommend Harvey’s Grammar or Our Mother Tongue by Nancy Wilson.
- Shakespeare Play, TBD
- Oratory Resource, TBD
Note: Your student will be placed in the appropriate logic and writing breakout group based on the assessment of the teacher and course availability. Logic & LTW Breakout II & III will only be made available if enough students are interested, otherwise, all students will be placed in Logic & LTW Breakout I.